Friday, May 10, 2013

Arusha is growing on me!


A lot has happened in the past two days but I have come to the conclusion that Arusha, Tanzania is growing on me.  I am starting to appreciate the environment :)  Yesterday, was the first day that we walked to school by ourselves and we were SUPER NERVOUS!  (I filmed our trip to school today but it was too long of a trip that I only got part of it :( )  With a prayer of safety and protection we journeyed to Assumption Primary School.  It normally took us 22 minutes to get to school, but yesterday we were at a record of 17 minutes haha  The walk wasn’t too bad, there were lots of laughs among us which helped ease our nerves.  After school yesterday and today, children have walked with us for most of our trip home walking hand in hand.  The locals are starting to be friendly (in less of a creepy way) and there are no more salesmen hasslers!

To the teachers:  going off of my last post I mentioned that the students didn’t know how to do the problem 103-78 since they didn’t have a conceptual understanding of place value.  This was a challenge because I didn’t intentional meant to give them this problem and since I gave them the problem I can’t ignore their lack of understanding.  So then the question arose is to weather or not to open this can of worms and teach about place value in one day when 45 out of the 47 kids know how to do the procedure of subtracting triple digit numbers correctly.  I am finding this to be the case for numerous other subjects as well, where the students are directly taught and never told why something happens.  This is a struggle to watch and to teach in a environment like this.  The students are awesome tho, and the past two days we have had the chance to play with the students after school.  It’s great to see these little men and women be kids :)  The children have warmed up to us quickly and I am constantly being “petted” ALL DAY!  Can’t say that I hate it though ;)

I have also noticed that the teachers enjoy our company just as much as the students do.  We sat and talked to them after school one day and it was great to hear their perspective on life!  They found out that I was engaged and they were soooo excited for me!  It was crazy, I definitely wish I would have video tapped it.  Reid bought me a lovely $8 ring from Kohl’s that had little ‘xoxoxo’s’ that go all the way around it, and they thought it was my wedding band and they were freaking out!!!  I seriously had to show every teacher in the school.  They couldn’t believe that I had a much prettier ring back at home.  It was pretty cute :)  It was like I was living the engagement all over again! Haha  The teacher ladies proceeded to tell me that they have dibs on all of my single guy friends at home because “the Tanzanian men are all liars and cheaters!”

Neema, the teacher that I am working with, wants to show us around Arusha and meet her family at home next week.  It is neat to start building relationships with the Tanzanians.  Neema is awesome and we are now Facebook friends.  We are rafikis :) haha

Today, we went to the bookstore where I bought two third grade text books to take home.  I couldn't believe on how cheep they are.  They were 3,000 shillings which is roughly $1.80.  Unfortunately, the schools cant even afford these textbooks for every student!  I can’t remember if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the schools have nothing!!  They have little exercise books and a skinny little textbook.  These are the only materials that they have besides chalk and a chalkboard.  No classroom libraries, no scrap paper, no pencil sharpeners (just razor blades), I haven’t even seen any crayons or colored pencils.  These schools are so poor!  They playground is simply black stone.  They don't have a jungle gym, simply a tiny ball that is made out of plastic bags surrounded by rubber bands.  They also use plastic water bottles as a balls :(  We really are spoiled living in the States.  

Today we donated some frisbees that we brought and had a game day where we played games with the kids outside.  We did a high jump where the teachers held up a rope and the students had to jump over it.  I am not kidding you, our second graders were clearing the rope and like lower rib high.  It was crazy!!!  

We went to my favorite restaurant here tonight,  the Blue Huron, and had the best meal since I have been there!  Good ol’ american food :)  Abby and I split a chicken schnitzel plate and a hawaiian pineapple pizza.  So good and I am currently soooooo stuffed!!  

Tomorrow morning at 9am we are heading to the Serengetti and I am so excited!!  We are going to be stopping at the Great Rift Valley, Ngorongoro Crater and a Massai Village.  This is going to be an awesome 4 day adventure with some much needed down time!  Lisa (our professor) keeps us extremely busy!!  I am not sure if I will be getting internet at our hotels so in the case that I am not,  love ya all and I am doing very well!!  Already rocking a farmers tan woot woot :)

xoxoxo
A little something extra that you all have been waiting for ;)


The Assumption Primary Group
Shannon (co-teacher), Meghan, Lauren and Me





1 comment:

  1. Yeah for pictures!!! Your eyes always light up when you are with children :) Enjoy the Safari. Be Safe. Peace Love Happiness xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete